Friday 3 June 2011

Friday...Yay a morning to sleep in... a bit

Today I am working a 10-7 shift... Which means that potentially I could sleep in. I decided to sleep in a little bit more than normal and then get up and catch up on some emails! We have been very busy in Opthamology this week, helping 28-30 patients a day! It is actually quite fun once to you get into the rhythm, trying to see who can get through the most patients! By Thursday we were moving along so well that we actually ran out of patients by 1:30! I think that if we had kept going we could have made it to the high 40s!

I don't think I have shown you much of the ship yet, so I will try to take some more pictures on the weekend and give you a tour! Here is what a typical Short Term volunteer's room would look like:

Our cabin door

Most of the Short Term volunteers (anything less than 2 years) are 6 berth cabins. There are 3 sets of 2 bunk beds. In this picture I was on the bottom bunk awaiting the arrival of a new cabin member, I ended up moving back up to the top bunk because my new roommate is afraid of heights.


The bathroom. On the ship we have Ship Showers... which means that we have to conserve water as much as possible. No running water while you are lathering your hair haha!!!

Hanna and I relaxing after a busy day at in the hospital

 My cabin mates and I get along quite well and 5 of us are planning to go to River number 2 for the day tomorrow if the weather holds up. If we don't go soon, I will miss out on the opportunity to go to this beach as it is inaccessible during the rainy season. Hopefully I will have some great pictures to show you :) Rainy season is on its way to Sierra Leone and you can notice that it is getting wetter and wetter. The mornings tend to be foggy and damp and the evenings usually greet us with a nice thunderstorm. During the day the sun is still able to peek out!

No comments:

Post a Comment